I woke up at 6 AM and for people that know me I am half awake until at least 8 AM. So as I roll out of bed, I hear what I think is the shower running. Well this would be okay if Chad infact was at home. But he was in Boston. So now I'm thinking who is in the shower. No one! The noise is coming from the basement. Ok, strange. So I head downstairs (in my PJ's - shorts and t-shirt, no shoes) and lol and behold the basement is flooded. Ok, this has been normal since we moved in. But as I am looking around there is water everywhere! and inches of it. Oh, and the running water I heard, well there was running water, coming from out of the wall. Check out these pictures. 

Can you see the stream of water coming out of the wall? Yeah, this is not usual.
At this time it is 630AM and I need to be at work in 30 minutes. I call work and say I will be late around 8AM. They commented that 23 people called out because of the weather and there are only 3 subs available in the high school. I said I would make it in.
So, what to do first. Clover, get Clover out of the water. I take out his very old, rusted cage and think he really shouldn't be in this but figured it would only be for the day. Bring him upstairs and put him in the kitchen (this way if he made a mess it would be easier to clean.) Okay, back downstairs and let's wet vac to try to get some of the water up because one of our pumps doesn't shut off when no water is around (and I couldn't leave it on while I was at work). Okay, so I start to do this and within 2 minutes the vac is full of water and shooting water out the other end. Argh!!!!
Now it is 7:00. I call Chad. He suggests calling our landlord and seeing if he could come over while I'm at work so that the 2nd pump can stay on. Now it is 7:30 (still in PJs and barefeet - I think my feet are numb at this point). Anyway, call Landlord explain and he can be down by 9:30. Get off the phone it is 7:45, and know I'm not making it in by 8:00. So, I call work. Explain that landlord would be here by 9:30, I'll be in by 10:00. But of course, my boss is in a meeting and can't be called out. So I call the special ed department and explain to one of the aides, she says that 3 people in the department are out and she will try to get coverage. In the background you hear her teacher saying, Get off the phone. I need you to help this kids. She says it's an emergency and she will get off soon. Wonder how it went when she hung up the phone. So, okay, now I have till 10:00.
Okay, both pumps are on, working well. Let's shower...because I don't want the landlord to see me in my PJs and I can't feel my feet. Shower, get ready, go into kitchen and look at Clover in the cage. There is blood everywhere! He seemed to have cut his foot on something. It is 8:30 now. Call the vet and run Clover to the vet (yes, I was able to run because the vet is next door). Oh, forgot to leave note for landlord...of course I can't find paper or pencil or tape. Anyway, find it scribble note and run to vet. As I'm running to vet, there is water everywhere outside. I am literally running through ponds of water (and it is still raining). Get him to the vet. For some unknown reason they have to weigh him first. As he is bleeding all over the scale....whatever! She asks what happens and I just start crying. Get out that I have no idea what happened other than I put him in a cage that was all rusty because of the flood in basement.
She finally takes him to the back. So, I call Chad again in tears and let him know the newest situation. I get off the phone and call work and while holding back tears tell them I will not be in because I am now sitting at the vet. They say okay, I call the room and give my story (and I really think my paras didn't believe my story). As I'm telling her about being in the vet she asks and what about the water in the basement. I said well it's still flooding but landlord should be over soon. Anyway, the vet comes in and says they shaved his foot and he has three puncture wounds. The bleeding has stopped. No need for stitches. I need to give him medication for 7 days and to keep it clean. How do you keep a rabbits paw clean??? The vets said it looked like one of the cats bit him. I can't even imagine that! He was in an enclosed cage. I must have magical cats for them to squeeze through the cage, bite him and get out without a wimper! Okay, at least he is okay.
Slosh back to the house and the landlord is there. Awesome!
After briefly talking to the landlord, I try to figure out Clover's situation. Okay. There are two pools of blood on the cage floor. Some blood in his litter box and a few trickles here and there. The two pools, where I'm assuming the crime scene happened are in the middle of the cage...how can a cat get there???? The funny part is that there is no other means that would hurt him. No sticking up metal, no missing metal, nothing. So, I don't know how he got hurt. I decide to put a towel over the crime scene so that he can't hurt his foot again and it will keep his foot clean. FYI, if you ever wanted to know. Rabbit blood is very thick! Like syrup! Interesting!
Okay, back to the flooding. Roy, our landlord, helps manage the water, digs out the drainage area outside the house a little more, explains that all the areas that have water are where it was planned for water to go. Usually it just goes in the two places that we have seen but when there is so much water (we got 4 inches of rain) there are other designated places. No water seeping in where it is not supposed. (good thing). He stays for about an hour. Says he will be leaving to go out of town at 1:00 but will have the cell phone on incase. Let's me know what to do, if anything should happen (i.e. lose power, pump stops working, etc.)
Walk him to the door and check on Clover. Clover does not like the towel and has thrown it to one side of his cage and is now stretch out sleeping on the wire rack! Can't anything work out!
Now it is 10:00. Okay, I could possibly make it to work. Oh no! What is the feeling above my right eye. Oh please, not a migraine!!!! Oh yes! Yippee! Get some medication (which makes me loopy) and perhaps, i should eat breakfast now and then off to bed to get rid of the migraine. Before going to bed, I email some people at work (for those that I had meetings with later in the day), go down and push away more water. See picture!
And try again to see if Clover will sit on the towel. Fold it up in one corner of his cage. Success he likes it!
It is now 11:30. Slept until 2:00 (migraine gone). Yipee! Drag myself back downstairs and find more water. Sweep away water and put on 2nd pump again. Check on Clover. ( no longer interested in the towel, again to the side of his cage...okay I tried, but he has won.) Otherwise, he is doing well as if nothing happened. And the cats aren't talking, they are fast asleep on the bed and has been that way most of the day.
Needless, to say I didn't have lunch. So I think, i will go early to a restaurant and have someone wait on me for dinner and then deal with the rest of the evening after a nice dinner. The bright side of this terrible, horrible, no good very bad day.......
1. Got an extra few hours of sleep
2. Got a day off of work
3. I guess the basement floor will get clean. :)
The best thing is the rain has stopped and the sun has come out. We still have lots of pools of water around the house, which will most likely end up in our basement before long. Oh well. As my sister, Erica, said, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Perhaps I could carry the world! :)






1 comment:
ooooh Noooooo !!!
Take Care
Post a Comment