clouds

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Special Olympics Coach


A few weeks ago, I decided to volunteer with the Simsbury Special Olympics Swim program. I have always had a love for swimming and wanted to get back into doing some volunteer work. One of my colleagues is a Unified basketball coach and I asked her for some information regarding swim teams. The team practices Tuesday and Thursday evenings from March to June. There are 2 regional swim meets and one state meet.
The first night, I went expecting to get into the water with the athletes and help out where needed, but because I have competitive experience, I swam on a team in high school, the head coach made me an assistant coach. There are several other coaches, who are also parents of the athletes, boy scout volunteers, myself and the head coach. There are about 20-30 athletes. I have to say they are very good swimmers. I think a handful of them would lap me in the pool.
Our first meet is on Saturday, April 4th. I am very excited, as are the athletes too.

1 comment:

Sawicki4 said...

that sounds great coach megan!
good luck at your 1st meet!!!