clouds

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Worst Blogger

So, I think I am officially the worst blogger. I get so caught up in my life, not that it is that exciting, and completely forget to blog. So here I go....things that I can remember happened this past year and hope that perhaps I can blog monthly. HA! We will see if that will happen...

Last year (school year), I worked at the worst job in my whole entire teaching career. I always thought that it was the type of students that I taught, not the environment or the subject. Well, I learned that is not the case. While I love working with students with significant disabilities, I learned that I also have to have some sort of teaching role and not just in a recreational/social environment. And working in an affluent district, is horrible! So, with the thought of having to endure the crap another year, I set out to finding a new job. I had until July 30th to resign from my position. I went on one interview before going to the shore with my family. While the position was more of what I was looking for, they were looking for someone with more CT teaching experience. With that information, I started looking for a position in Western Mass.
While on vacation with my family at the NJ shore, I was job searching and sending out resumes. I found the perfect job! In West Springfield, MA as a lifeskills teacher with middle school students. This is what I have determined is my job of choice. This is the position, I left in Lowell and really wanted to get back. I applied to this position in June but hadn't heard from them. So every week, I would call and ask if the position was filled or if they were still looking. So finally, while on vacation (July 4th-11th), I get a hold of a person and they said they would get back to me. At the end of the week, I had two interviews set up for July 16th. This was actually when we were supposed to be at the Cape with Chad's family.
Went on the interviews, hated the first one...loved the second one. Was told that I would get a call on Monday regarding the job. Told them that I had to give notice to my current job by the 27th (we were going on vacation to Disney starting July 28th).
Got a call on Friday...the 17th...that I was top candidate but they had a few more interviews set up. Was told on Friday July 24th that I got the position and could come sign papers on the 27th! I went up to the school at West Springfield (yes, I got the job I wanted) at 9AM. Signed the papers and drove back to CT to the Farmington post office and mailed out my resignation letter. The following day at 6 AM we drove to the airport for our 10 day Disney vacation. Nothing like waiting until last minute!
Totally loved Disney...so awesome! A trip to always remember celebrating our 5th anniversary. My birthday was during the vacation, Chad surprised me with an adventure of exploring dolphins and an upclose time to pet and train the dolphins from Epcot. I had always wanted to be a dolphin trainer, but when I failed biology decided to change career choices. Find out that to be a dolphin trainer, they hire child pyschologist, before hiring a biology major. If I only knew. Highlights from trip: Laua at Polynesian, Keys to Kingdom tour, fast passes all day (getting to the front of the line immediately without waiting for a specific time) on my birthday at Animal Kingdom, Loved MGM especially Toy Story Mania ride. Watched 4 American Idol performances! Chad loved the evening thunderstorms. While enduring the outrageous heat and evening rain storms....we had an amazing trip!
Erica, Lorelei and Grace came to visit for a few days in August and then we went to Hershey Park (minus Chad) with my family to meet up with my Michigan family members. Hung out with Mom in NJ while Dad went golfing. Went to a camp reunion in Philly. Chad came with me, we drove to Pat's and got a cheesesteak and then to camp, back to Erica's house and then a return trip home. Looking back at all my visits to PA/NJ. It is always done with lots of traveling. Summer is coming to an end....school to start for teachers on August 30th.
So, I found out the scoop to why the position was posted on June 4th, but noone was interviewed until the middle of July. The teacher who I knocked out of her position, was not certified yet. Apparently, every year her position gets posted and she prays that noone comes along who is qualified and certified to take her position. Well, I came along and they had to give me the position because she had not passed the MA teacher test yet. So, they had to give her time to get her stuff packed up before I could get access to the room. They also had to inform the other teachers in the program as well.
Anyway, I absolutely LOVE my job. I have 20 students, split between 3 teachers. There are 7 aides in the program. I teach 3 social studies classes, 2 science classes, have 2 prep periods and a lunch period. I actually have a schedule that was designed for me. I don't have to fight to get prep periods or eat with the students. I am actually teaching, writing lesson plans, etc. and still working with students with moderate to significant delays. We are given days off to do the MCAS alternate porfolios. Actually as many days, as you would like. One of my colleagues starting taking days off in September. While much drama still exists, I love the students, the job, my co-workers, the school and really don't mind the hour long commute or the crazy morning hours.
Other news...we joined a church. We are now members of the First Church of Christ in Simsbury, CT. We love the music opportunities (bell choir) and mission outreach (soup kitchen, work camps, etc.). The church continues to grow and has lots of children involvement. I have joined the bell choir and prayer shawl knitters. We both have pariticipated in soup kitchen activities. Chad would like this to be a monthly activity for him.
I have had many opportunities to help Dad out by spending some time with Mom. She continues to decline. Some days this is harder to accept then others. I wish I had more patience with her. I don't understand why I have more patience with my students than with my mom, yet they are both in the same boat. Mom's friend Carol, comes to spend time with her up to 12 hours a week, depending on Dad's social calendar. She has signed Mom and her up to spend some time volunteering with special needs children. Which is right up Mom's alley, since she was also a special education teacher. I hope Mom enjoys this activity. Mom's day is mostly spent wondering around the house, sitting in her chair on the porch watching the birds and watching tv. And also trying to complete small tasks. Yet, she isn't so successful at the last activity. My sisters and I continue to be part of the Alzheimer's Memory Walk and hope again to take part in the QUASH activity in Philly in the spring. We have so far raised about $30,000. Our goal is to raise $50,000 by 2012. We are definitely a family that doesn't take the fact that we can't do anything to help mom very lightly. This is our way of helping to find a cure for Alzheimer's so that other families don't have to suffer and struggle like we are. IT SUCKS!!!! I wish for my Mom to be back with us mentally every day. Someday soon, I wish for a cure!
On a happier note,
We have been preapproved for a mortgage and hope to start looking in the next couple of months. Our "yearly" lease ends in May and we have until October to find a house of our own, before we have to sign back on to our lease. We hope to move to Simsbury, CT (where our church is) in the spring.
Chad continues to work at home and goes into Boston once a week. At times, his job is frustrating but as a whole he continues to enjoy it.
I think that is about all that has happenend over the past year or so....
So, I hope to be better at blogging and do a monthly review...see you in February!

No comments: