clouds

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Freezing for a Reason

I participated in the Penguin Plunge today. The Penguin Plunge raises money for Special Olympics. A team was made at the high school I teach at, so I decided why not and joined along with the vice principal, principal, 3 other special education teachers and an English teacher. We also had 3 students join us. Our theme was Hawaiian, as you will see in the pictures we had grass skirts, hawaiian shirts and lais. I got my hawaiian shirt at the Salvation Army store for 1.99. Can't beat that. So, we got there at 11:00 registered and got our numbers. I was number 239. It was written on my hand with permanent marker. I'm wondering how to get it off. Then we wait around until noon where we get out of our warm clothes into our costumes and parade around. We got back to the beginning and one team at a time is called and you run and jump into the water. I have to say by this time by legs, feet and toes were so numb I could barely move. Yet, I somehow made it into the water and surprisingly it was warmer than I thought it would be. I ran into the water to my waist and ran back out again. I ran straight for my towel (which my cousin, Julie, was nice enough to hold for me and then back into the heated changing rooms. It took me forever to get the wet clothes off me because I couldn't feel my hands. I swear my feet were frozen to my boots. I'm so proud of myself for doing this. I was able to raise $250 (half of which go back to the Farmington Valley Athletes (including my students). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and would actually consider doing it again next year. Here are some pictures. Enjoy! And thanks again to those that donated!









Waiting for our team to be called (Behind me is Julie, Bob and Caroline...they even look cold!) It was 25 degrees! The man in front of me is our principal.
The run down the beach




Plunging into the water. Rumor has it there were 8 inches of ice on the lake.







Coming out of the water








Running back to the heated locker rooms









Chad wanted a picture before I changed. I think my teeth were frozen together.
























































































1 comment:

Sawicki4 said...

Great Pics! Looks like everyone had fun and raised a lot of money for a good cause!